BiOMViS Srl is a biotech Company specialized in the use of bacterial Outer Membrane Vesicles (OMVs) as vaccine platform.
What are OMVs?
- OMVs are closed spheroid particles released by Gram-negative bacteria in the extracellular milieu.
- OMVs are non-infective organelles being deprived of self-replicating nucleic acids
Why OMVs are an attractive vaccine platform?
OMVs are particularly attractive as vaccine platform for three main features:
1. they carry potent stimulators (adjuvants) of the immune system
2. they can be efficiently decorated with foreign antigens
3. they can be easily purified from bacterial culture supernatant
The unique properties of OMVs have already been exploited to develop vaccines for human use.